How to Make an After Dinner Speech
An after dinner speech should be gracious in tone.
What to include:
- Thank those who invited you to speak.
- Mention the wonderful meal.
- Add a little humour. People like to laugh.
- Try to make your speech look at the association or group you are addressing from a different angle.
- Try to mention some connection you have with the club/association you are addressing..
- Get over heavy ground lightly. No matter how deep the subject try to make it entertaining.
What not to say:
- Don’t include the wrong titles in your address. A Major won’t thank you for calling him Sergeant. So get the titles right.
- Don’t include too many statistics. People won’t remember them if they have dined and wined well.
- Don’t include too many details. It’s a social occasion and people will want to chat.
How to End:
- Be positive about the group you are addressing and what they do. You should end your speech on a complimentary note regarding their club/association/business.. Then ask the guests to join you in a toast if that is appropriate.
Click here for our list of Ready-to-Go After Dinner Speeches – downloadable instantly.
These speeches are available instantly. You will receive a number of speeches that you can use to create your own masterpiece.